Stress has its way of taking a toll on our lives. And sometimes, it seems so hard to put an end to our stress because we have developed an addiction to it. We try to equate our level of stress as a gauge of our success, while in all actuality, stress blocks our happiness and wellbeing. According to Laurie Leinwand, MA, LPC, “Psychological resilience is the ability to adapt to life’s constant changes and cope with stress or adversity, such as a major tragedy, trauma, health problem, or some other life difficulty.”
There are many activities that could relieve our stress and can help our mind to stay healthy. Tasks that can make us think of life as something that is richer and more meaningful. Age does not really matter, as long as you can keep a sharp mind all through your lifetime. A sharp mind can help you become successful, not because you feel stressed but because you are able to relax despite the business of your day.
Jeremy Savage, MA, LPC said “The good news is that we can learn how to minimize and navigate stress by adopting specific skills.”
Activities To Exercise Your Brain
- Do Simple Maths Mentally. Put down your calculators and start practicing mental math. This activity can be fun and therapeutic to allow you to complete simple daily tasks.
- Try Crossword Puzzles. The next time you read your newspaper, trying flipping the page to the crossword puzzle. Challenge your day by progressing to difficult ones each week. If newspapers are not available, there are many free crossword puzzles you can find online. Tickle your brain a little.
- Play Scrabble. You can either play online or bond with friends. It is an excellent means to keep your mind working while having fun with friends. Laugh at the silly words you are putting together and the crazy letter tiles you are picking.
- Keep Yourself Updated With The Current Events. Whether it’s about politics, sports, world news, or just the local town talk, keeping yourself up to date with the reports is a great brain stimulant.
- Read, Read, And Read. Read anything you get your hands into; it can be books, magazines, or even labels of any products you are purchasing. Reading makes you acquire new knowledge and new ideas. It allows your brain to pump up inspiration especially if you are reading something that is not just educational but something that is enriching for your whole being.
- Jigsaw Puzzles. It pushes you to think deeper, analyze shapes and colors, and match up figures. It allows you to sharpen your mind.
- Watch Movies. It is a healthy habit for it leaves your mind contemplating on what you watched even days after seeing it. It keeps your mind working by analyzing each scene and situation carefully.
- Play Video Games. Playing is not always a waste of time. It can stimulate your brain and combat the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Check out more benefits of playing video games here at FamilyHype.
Challenge your brain by being curious about your surroundings. Look it up in the dictionary when you hear an unfamiliar word. Learn a musical instrument or study another foreign language.
Art therapy is another activity that can also help you exercise your brain. It lets your hands work as you allow your mind to wander.
“Try talking candidly about what’s bothering you. A good therapist should be open and willing to understand your concerns,” said Noah Rubinstein, LMFT, LMHC.
Travel and explore various cultures and traditions to have a new experience, and you can contract inspiration, break away from the routine, and have a fresh mind about your perspective.
You are not always in control, but there are activities that you can choose to do to relieve your stress and get those creative juices overflowing to allow yourself to be productive in a way that will make you happy and content.
Our brain is very much like our muscles; it will atrophy when not in use. Start exercising your brain with activities that serve as therapy to achieve a healthy and powerful mind.