Aging is inevitable but as long as we stay healthy, we can age gracefully and will be proud of every gray hair and wrinkle on our face. It is never easy to maintain our well-being, but there are tips I want to share with you. These are simple tips, but I can never say they are easy to follow.
John Duffy, PsyD said “Exercising and eating well provide nearly instant benefits, helping the body and the mind to manage most any difficulties, including anxiety and depression.”
- Empower Your Mind. Do not let your memory fail you. When this happens, you will feel old. The brain is very much like the body. It also needs exercise not in lifting weights or allowing it to run through and fro and wander but answering crossword puzzles, playing word games and stuff like Sudoku or chess. Try doing something new every now and then to challenge your brain.
- Stand With Confidence. Practicing good posture shows confidence. Proper posture is holding your head straight, chin parallel to the ground, stomach tucked in, and knees straight. A good posture is essential for balance, and a good balance allows you to do sports and other activities.
Ronald Siegel, PsyD “A concept called the “hedonic treadmill” explains why material things don’t mean much for happiness.”
- Get Enough Sleep. Good quality and quantity of sleep are not just for kids. Adults need it, too, in order to stay alert, feel better, and be productive and creative. It is when we are asleep that our body repairs itself. A good night’s sleep gives you that refreshed feeling and keeps you energized the whole day. Sleeping in the right position plays a significant role in achieving a good quality of sleep. According to a chiropractor, the spine should be aligned, supported, and is in its normal curve. Are you sleeping on your back? Be sure to have the correct height of the pillow on your head and put a pillow under your knees so as not to put pressure on the lower back. When you decide to lay on your side, make sure that the pillow height is appropriately supporting your neck. Place a pillow in between your knees to support the hip. The chiropractor also does not suggest sleeping on your tummy because it puts pressure on the spine.
- Find Peace. Be grounded in your belief, may it be faith in Jesus Christ or whatever religion or gods, What’s important is that you find peace in whatever you believe in and put it into practice.
- Have A Role Model. It is okay to look up to someone, and admire how they were able to put balance into their lives and stay healthy. It can inspire you to do the same.
- Endow Your Skin. Beautiful skin is one of the most important things for a woman. A skincare specialist advised that it is essential to take care of your skin while you are young. Investing in your skin concerns early on like acne and pimples will make you feel good about yourself.
- Pursue Your Passion. It is never too late for things you love doing and things that will give you happiness. Take your pen and write, pick up the brush and paint if that is your thing. It is about time for you to flourish in doing things you love most.
- Smile More. Laughing and smiling releases happy hormones called endorphins. It reduces stress and acts as a natural painkiller. Laugh lines are signs of how happy you are. It builds your character.
Richard Shuster, PsyD suggests going to the beach too. He said “Staring at the ocean actually changes our brain waves’ frequency and puts us into a mild meditative state.”
Happiness is good for your health. A happy you leads to a healthy body and mind. Whatever age bracket you belong to, the 20s, 30s, 40s, or even more, there will always be an opportunity to be happier and healthier.
As you go out today, try to smile and see how it makes you feel good when someone you don’t know smiles back at you.